cmake error on OS X 10.6
Matthew Denno
2010-09-15 23:52:46 UTC
Hello Devs,

I am trying to build QGIS on OS X 10.6. I have not exactly followed the
instructions from the Installation
Guide<http://www.qgis.org/wiki/Installation_Guide#Building_on_Mac_OSX_using_frameworks_and_cmake_or_Xcode>because
I had lots of trouble getting PyQt built/installed. Anyway, I ended
up installing the dependencies using KyngChaos frameworks where available
and MacPorts for the rest. I am new to Mac (was using Ubuntu before, not
loving Mac right now), so I am hoping I can sort this out and get it to
build. I am now getting an error running cmake, it says:

FindGSL.cmake: gsl-config not found. Please set it manually.
GSL_CONFIG=GSL_CONFIG-NOTFOUND

How would I go about doing this? GSL was installed from the KyngChaos
frameworks, so I was surprised to see this error; I was expecting others
since I didn't exactly follow the instructions. GSL installed in the
Library/Frameworks.

Thanks in advance,

Matt
Matthew Denno
2010-09-16 00:56:37 UTC
Okay - so I seemed to fix this error by adding the following to cmake:

-D
GSL_CONFIG_PREFER_PATH:STRING=/Library/Frameworks/GSL.framework/Versions/1/unix/bin

Now I receive the following error during make:

[ 67%] Generating analysis/sipanalysispart0.cpp,
analysis/sipanalysispart1.cpp, analysis/sipanalysispart2.cpp,
analysis/sipanalysispart3.cpp

sip: /Users/matt/Development/qgis/python/core/conversions.sip:269: Mapped
type has already been defined in another module
make[2]: *** [python/analysis/sipanalysispart0.cpp] Error 1
make[1]: *** [python/CMakeFiles/python_module_qgis_analysis.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

Any ideas?
William Kyngesburye
2010-09-16 03:21:56 UTC
I confess that since setting up the Xcode project, I use it exclusively and haven't tried a cmake build in a while, though others have with success.

The Qgis cmake configure should automatically find known frameworks. GDAL and GEOS are known, but GSL is fairly recent as a framework and the cmake stuff wasn't updated.

Odd, I see that the cmake test for PROJ doesn't check for a framework.

On Sep 15, 2010, at 7:56 PM, Matthew Denno wrote:

> Okay - so I seemed to fix this error by adding the following to cmake:
>
> -D
> GSL_CONFIG_PREFER_PATH:STRING=/Library/Frameworks/GSL.framework/Versions/1/unix/bin
>
> Now I receive the following error during make:
>
> [ 67%] Generating analysis/sipanalysispart0.cpp,
> analysis/sipanalysispart1.cpp, analysis/sipanalysispart2.cpp,
> analysis/sipanalysispart3.cpp
>
> sip: /Users/matt/Development/qgis/python/core/conversions.sip:269: Mapped
> type has already been defined in another module
> make[2]: *** [python/analysis/sipanalysispart0.cpp] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [python/CMakeFiles/python_module_qgis_analysis.dir/all] Error 2
> make: *** [all] Error 2
>
> Any ideas?

I don't know about this. I have heard about a problem related to some already defined or undefined error with the latest SIP/PyQt (unrelated to Qgis directly). I've been holding off on trying them until I see new versions. (last versions I used are SIP 4.10.5, PyQt 4.7.4)

> I am trying to build QGIS on OS X 10.6. I have not exactly followed the instructions from the Installation Guide because I had lots of trouble getting PyQt built/installed. Anyway, I ended up installing the dependencies using KyngChaos frameworks where available and MacPorts for the rest.

I personally don't use and don't recommend MacPorts (or Fink) when using other available binaries like my frameworks. Past experience (though mostly old, but some recent from others) has shown that they often interfere with or override other binaries.

The build instructions should work just fine with a minimum of fuss.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"Oh, look, I seem to have fallen down a deep, dark hole. Now what does that remind me of? Ah, yes - life."

- Marvin
John C. Tull
2010-09-16 14:50:00 UTC
I use cmake regularly, and William's frameworks otherwise. I have an alias in my bash profile setup with the following command:

cmake -D BINDINGS_GLOBAL_INSTALL=on -D QWT_INCLUDE_DIR=/usr/local/qwt-5.2.1-svn/include -D QWT_LIBRARY=/usr/local/qwt-5.2.1-svn/lib/libqwt.5.dylib -D CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/Applications -D CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release -D SIP_BINARY_PATH=/usr/local/bin/sip -D CMAKE_OSX_ARCHITECTURES=x86_64 -D GRASS_PREFIX=/Applications/GRASS-6.4.app/Contents/MacOS -D GRASS_INCLUDE_DIR=/Applications/GRASS-6.4.app/Contents/MacOS/include ..

Hope that helps.

John

William Kyngesburye
2010-09-16 14:57:48 UTC
Interesting. You don't have problems with GSL or PROJ frameworks? Maybe you have an old /usr/local GSL from before my framework?

I suppose I should give it a whirl to make sure it's all working...

On Sep 16, 2010, at 9:50 AM, John C. Tull wrote:

> I use cmake regularly, and William's frameworks otherwise. I have an alias in my bash profile setup with the following command:
>
> cmake -D BINDINGS_GLOBAL_INSTALL=on -D QWT_INCLUDE_DIR=/usr/local/qwt-5.2.1-svn/include -D QWT_LIBRARY=/usr/local/qwt-5.2.1-svn/lib/libqwt.5.dylib -D CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/Applications -D CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release -D SIP_BINARY_PATH=/usr/local/bin/sip -D CMAKE_OSX_ARCHITECTURES=x86_64 -D GRASS_PREFIX=/Applications/GRASS-6.4.app/Contents/MacOS -D GRASS_INCLUDE_DIR=/Applications/GRASS-6.4.app/Contents/MacOS/include ..
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> John
>
> On Sep 15, 2010, at 8:21 PM, William Kyngesburye wrote:
>
>> I confess that since setting up the Xcode project, I use it exclusively and haven't tried a cmake build in a while, though others have with success.
>>
>> The Qgis cmake configure should automatically find known frameworks. GDAL and GEOS are known, but GSL is fairly recent as a framework and the cmake stuff wasn't updated.
>>
>> Odd, I see that the cmake test for PROJ doesn't check for a framework.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

First Pogril: Why is life like sticking your head in a bucket filled with hyena offal?
Second Pogril: I don't know. Why IS life like sticking your head in a bucket filled with hyena offal?
First Pogril: I don't know either. Wretched, isn't it?

-HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy
John C. Tull
2010-09-16 15:02:59 UTC
As far as I can tell, I do not have any remnant gsl laying around. I upgraded my hardware in the past 6 months and started afresh with additional unix libs, binaries, etc. I did not install any gsl other than your framework to my knowledge.

I believe some updates occurred in the past 6-10 months with egis where your frameworks are automagically picked up by cmake. Here is my commandline output from running the cmake command I posted:

-- The C compiler identification is GNU
-- The CXX compiler identification is GNU
-- Checking whether C compiler has -isysroot
-- Checking whether C compiler has -isysroot - no
-- Checking whether C compiler supports OSX deployment target flag
-- Checking whether C compiler supports OSX deployment target flag - no
-- Check for working C compiler: /usr/local/bin/ccache
-- Check for working C compiler: /usr/local/bin/ccache -- works
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info - done
-- Checking whether CXX compiler has -isysroot
-- Checking whether CXX compiler has -isysroot - no
-- Checking whether CXX compiler supports OSX deployment target flag
-- Checking whether CXX compiler supports OSX deployment target flag - no
-- Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/local/bin/ccache
-- Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/local/bin/ccache -- works
-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info
-- Quantum GIS version: 1.6.0 Trunk (10600)
-- Found GRASS: /Applications/GRASS-6.4.app/Contents/MacOS (6.4.0)
-- Found Iconv: /usr/lib/libiconv.dylib
-- Looking for openpty
-- Looking for openpty - found
-- Found Proj: /Library/Frameworks/proj.framework
-- Found Expat: /usr/lib/libexpat.dylib
-- Using GSL from /Library/Frameworks/GSL.framework/Versions/1/unix
-- Found GEOS: /Library/Frameworks/GEOS.framework/Versions/3/unix/lib/libgeos_c.dylib
-- Found GDAL: /Library/Frameworks/GDAL.framework/Versions/1.7/unix/lib/libgdal.dylib
-- Found PostgreSQL: /usr/local/pgsql/lib/libpq.dylib
-- Found QWT: /usr/local/qwt-5.2.1-svn/lib/libqwt.5.dylib
-- Looking for Q_WS_X11
-- Looking for Q_WS_X11 - not found.
-- Looking for Q_WS_WIN
-- Looking for Q_WS_WIN - not found.
-- Looking for Q_WS_QWS
-- Looking for Q_WS_QWS - not found.
-- Looking for Q_WS_MAC
-- Looking for Q_WS_MAC - found
-- Looking for QT_MAC_USE_COCOA
-- Looking for QT_MAC_USE_COCOA - found
-- Found Qt-Version 4.7.0 (using /usr/bin/qmake)
-- Found PythonInterp: /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/bin/python2.6
-- Found Python executable: /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/bin/python2.6
-- Found Python version: 2.6.1
-- Found Python library: -framework Python
-- Found SIP version: 4.10.5
-- Found PyQt4 version: 4.7.4
-- Found FCGI: /usr/lib/libfcgi.dylib
-- Configuring done
-- Generating done
-- Build files have been written to: /Users/jctull/sources/qgis/trunk/build

You can see that gsl, proj and others were discovered just fine.

Cheers,
John

Matthew Denno
2010-09-17 00:52:40 UTC
John and William,

Thank you for your input.

So both of you have used the procedure presented in the Install Guide? I
guess I will uninstall the MacPorts libs, etc and try the methods from the
guide again.

Could one of you please tell me the name of the Qt pakage you used? It
looks like there are a number to choose from, SDK, debug, etc. I think this
might have been where I went wrong before.

Thanks again for your help.

Matt

William Kyngesburye
2010-09-17 13:55:03 UTC
On Sep 16, 2010, at 7:52 PM, Matthew Denno wrote:

> John and William,
>
> Thank you for your input.
>
> So both of you have used the procedure presented in the Install Guide? I guess I will uninstall the MacPorts libs, etc and try the methods from the guide again.
>
> Could one of you please tell me the name of the Qt pakage you used? It looks like there are a number to choose from, SDK, debug, etc. I think this might have been where I went wrong before.

It's hard to get the wrong one. Either the SDK or the library-only package works (though the SDK has a few 100 MB of extra stuff you don't need), and the debug libs (unnecessary) won't install without the libraries or SDK installed.

Note: do you want to try latest new features/bug fixes in trunk, or just use Qgis as released? I have the binaries on my site. I haven't done a dev build in a while, so maybe I should do that this weekend...

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"History is an illusion caused by the passage of time, and time is an illusion caused by the passage of history."

- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Matthew Denno
2010-09-17 15:44:27 UTC
Last night I downloaded the 64bit Qt library-only package (The SDK didn't
say if it was 32 or 64 bit). I went through the Installation Guide again
and this time was able to get past the SIP/PyQt installs following the
guide. The only thing I had to do that wasn't in the guide was add the
non-framework path to PYTHONPATH in my .bash-profile.

PYTHONPATH='/Library/Python/2.6/site-packages'
export PYTHONPATH

When it came to actually building QGIS I successfully ran cmake. However I
am still receiving the same/similar error as before:

Linking CXX shared library libqgis_analysis.dylib
[ 63%] Built target qgis_analysis
[ 64%] Generating analysis/sipanalysispart0.cpp,
analysis/sipanalysispart1.cpp, analysis/sipanalysispart2.cpp,
analysis/sipanalysispart3.cpp

sip: /Users/matt/Development/qgis/python/core/conversions.sip:269: Mapped
type has already been defined in another module
make[2]: *** [python/analysis/sipanalysispart0.cpp] Error 1
make[1]: *** [python/CMakeFiles/python_module_qgis_analysis.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

I suspect that this may be due to the fact that it took me multiple tries to
get SIP/PyQt installed correctly. Any idea what this message means? I am
thinking that maybe I have SIP installed in multiple locations from failed
past attempts. Do you think that would cause this error?

I need to build from source because I am working on a plugin that is written
in C++. This is a project that I had to set down a few months ago. In the
mean time I have switched platforms and am now trying to pick this project
back up. I use the QtCreator IDE for coding and CMake to build. This setup
has worked well for me in the past and allows for easy gui development and
debugging all in QtCreator.

William Kyngesburye
2010-09-17 16:15:14 UTC
On Sep 17, 2010, at 10:44 AM, Matthew Denno wrote:

> Last night I downloaded the 64bit Qt library-only package (The SDK didn't say if it was 32 or 64 bit). I went through the Installation Guide again and this time was able to get past the SIP/PyQt installs following the guide. The only thing I had to do that wasn't in the guide was add the non-framework path to PYTHONPATH in my .bash-profile.
>
> PYTHONPATH='/Library/Python/2.6/site-packages'
> export PYTHONPATH

Even that should not be necessary. That path is wired into the system python. If you installed and use the python.org python, it's not set there, but then you should compile python extensions into it's site-packages.

> When it came to actually building QGIS I successfully ran cmake. However I am still receiving the same/similar error as before:
>
> Linking CXX shared library libqgis_analysis.dylib
> [ 63%] Built target qgis_analysis
> [ 64%] Generating analysis/sipanalysispart0.cpp, analysis/sipanalysispart1.cpp, analysis/sipanalysispart2.cpp, analysis/sipanalysispart3.cpp
>
> sip: /Users/matt/Development/qgis/python/core/conversions.sip:269: Mapped type has already been defined in another module
> make[2]: *** [python/analysis/sipanalysispart0.cpp] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [python/CMakeFiles/python_module_qgis_analysis.dir/all] Error 2
> make: *** [all] Error 2
>
> I suspect that this may be due to the fact that it took me multiple tries to get SIP/PyQt installed correctly. Any idea what this message means? I am thinking that maybe I have SIP installed in multiple locations from failed past attempts. Do you think that would cause this error?

I don't know at this point, though it does sound familiar.

If you did a basic SIP/PyQt build at one time, without the flags to set explicit install locations, you may have some leftovers in the system python, which you can delete. Look in /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6:

bin: pylupdate4, pyrcc4, pyuic4, sip

include: sip.h

share: sip folder

lib/python2.6/site-packages: sip and pyqt files

And possibly /usr/bin, /usr/include and /usr/share for the same.

> I need to build from source because I am working on a plugin that is written in C++. This is a project that I had to set down a few months ago. In the mean time I have switched platforms and am now trying to pick this project back up. I use the QtCreator IDE for coding and CMake to build. This setup has worked well for me in the past and allows for easy gui development and debugging all in QtCreator.

understood.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"Mon Dieu! but they are all alike. Cheating, murdering, lying, fighting, and all for things that the beasts of the jungle would not deign to possess - money to purchase the effeminate pleasures of weaklings. And yet withal bound down by silly customs that make them slaves to their unhappy lot while firm in the belief that they be the lords of creation enjoying the only real pleasures of existence....

- the wisdom of Tarzan
Matthew Denno
2010-09-17 17:22:57 UTC
Forgot to reply all.

> On Sep 17, 2010, at 10:44 AM, Matthew Denno wrote:
>
> > Last night I downloaded the 64bit Qt library-only package (The SDK didn't
> say if it was 32 or 64 bit). I went through the Installation Guide again
> and this time was able to get past the SIP/PyQt installs following the
> guide. The only thing I had to do that wasn't in the guide was add the
> non-framework path to PYTHONPATH in my .bash-profile.
> >
> > PYTHONPATH='/Library/Python/2.6/site-packages'
> > export PYTHONPATH
> >
> Even that should not be necessary. That path is wired into the system
> python. If you installed and use the python.org python, it's not set
> there, but then you should compile python extensions into it's
> site-packages.

Oh. Okay. I have the python.org version installed. so my SIP/PyQt
configure should have "-d
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/python2.6/site-packages"
not "-d /Library/Python/2.6/site-packages"

I am still figuring out the whole OS X directory structure and though that
that was the system python...not realizing that there is a python at
/System/Library/... As a result I have SIP/PyQt split into two places.
None in the System Python but in both other locations mentioned above.

I guess I have some clean-up to do.

William Kyngesburye
2010-09-17 17:56:08 UTC
With the python.org python, you just use the first form:

python configure.py

That defaults to putting everything in the python framework.

That said, I haven't tried it in a long time, since I don't use the python.org python. You may get deployment target complaints from python.

On Sep 17, 2010, at 12:22 PM, Matthew Denno wrote:

> Forgot to reply all.

[Trillian] What are you supposed to do WITH a maniacally depressed robot?

[Marvin] You think you have problems? What are you supposed to do if you ARE a maniacally depressed robot? No, don't try and answer, I'm 50,000 times more intelligent than you and even I don't know the answer...

- HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Matthew Denno
2010-09-17 18:47:16 UTC
Using python configure.py takes care of the architecture (I.e. 32 vs 64 bit)
too?

-----

William Kyngesburye
2010-09-17 19:39:45 UTC
I think it will default to 32bit.

All generalizations are dangerous, even this one.
John C. Tull
2010-09-17 21:41:20 UTC
Matthew,

Is there a specific reason to use python.org? Generally speaking, it seems to prove best on OS X to avoid overriding system provided bins and libs when possible.

Cheers,
John

Matthew Denno
2010-09-17 21:49:00 UTC
John, I guess the only reason was that I wanted to use Idle at one time. I
don't care anymore though. In your opinion would it be better uninstall the
python.org version? Will that remove
\Library\Frameworks\Python.frameworks...?

I am just trying to figure out how to proceed to get this cleaned up and
working.

William Kyngesburye
2010-09-17 22:16:26 UTC
There are 2 camps on this: system and python.org, though I don't want to start a debate about that here ;) Both are valid, though I prefer the system version, and it's also the one most tested with Qgis as far as I know.

If you want to uninstall python.org, deleting /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework is a start. It probably also has added something to your PATH in your ~/.bash_profile. And there also may be symlinks and scripts in /usr/local/bin, and maybe some headers or symlinks in /usr/local/include.

On Sep 17, 2010, at 4:49 PM, Matthew Denno wrote:

> John, I guess the only reason was that I wanted to use Idle at one time. I don't care anymore though. In your opinion would it be better uninstall the python.org version? Will that remove \Library\Frameworks\Python.frameworks...?
>
> I am just trying to figure out how to proceed to get this cleaned up and working.
>

>> On Sep 17, 2010 5:41 PM, "John C. Tull" <john.tull-***@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>>
>> Matthew,
>>
>> Is there a specific reason to use python.org? Generally speaking, it seems to prove best on OS X to avoid overriding system provided bins and libs when possible.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> John
>>
>> On Sep 17, 2010, at 1:39 PM, William Kyngesburye wrote:
>>
>> > I think it will default to 32bit.
>> >
>> > O...

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"This is a question about the past, is it? ... How can I tell that the past isn't a fiction designed to account for the discrepancy between my immediate physical sensations and my state of mind?"

- The Ruler of the Universe
John C. Tull
2010-09-17 22:25:07 UTC
William knows much more about all of this than I do. With that said, I am a significant portion of the testing on OS X, and I have never used python.org. I would say dump it if you don't explicitly need it. Also, work out getting a build system for qgis that works, then start to tinker if you have to do so.

Cheers,
John

Matthew Denno
2010-09-17 22:33:24 UTC
Thank so much to both of you for your input. You both know much more about
this than I do so I shall follow your lead.

I discovered that there is some guidance in the python documentation
regarding uninstalling...and it agrees with Williams advice so I will do it.

Matthew Denno
2010-09-18 02:04:06 UTC
Update: I removed all old SIP/PyQt installs (I think I got them all) as
well as the python.org version of python. Reinstalled everything from the
Installation Guide, but alas I am still getting the same error. I think I
may have found the solution though, it looks like it may be a known bug
https://trac.osgeo.org/qgis/ticket/2985. There is a diff included that
might fix it. Is applying a diff difficult? (ha). I will poke around the
internet and see if I can find out how to do it. Any direction would be
appreciated.

Matthew Denno
2010-09-18 03:04:27 UTC
Well, if I am understanding this correctly, it looks like this diff has
already been applied to trunk. However, it seems like this is where the
problem might be.

William Kyngesburye
2010-09-18 15:19:55 UTC
I just ran a trunk build from Xcode. No patches for that Qgis SIP bug have been applied yet, so I had to do that ot my local source copy to get it to compile. The PyQt bug mentioned there about utf8 *has* been applied to PyQt trunk.

2 ways to apply a diff: patch command and manually. Since the patch is lines of text on a web page instead of a file download, this one is simple enough to apply manually, it's just deleting a bunch of lines. Delete lines 268-318 of python/core/conversions.sip.

On Sep 17, 2010, at 10:04 PM, Matthew Denno wrote:

> Well, if I am understanding this correctly, it looks like this diff has already been applied to trunk. However, it seems like this is where the problem might be.
>
> On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 10:04 PM, Matthew Denno <mgdenno-***@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Update: I removed all old SIP/PyQt installs (I think I got them all) as well as the python.org version of python. Reinstalled everything from the Installation Guide, but alas I am still getting the same error. I think I may have found the solution though, it looks like it may be a known bug https://trac.osgeo.org/qgis/ticket/2985. There is a diff included that might fix it. Is applying a diff difficult? (ha). I will poke around the internet and see if I can find out how to do it. Any direction would be appreciated.
>

> On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 6:33 PM, Matthew Denno <mgdenno-***@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Thank so much to both of you for your input. You both know much more about this than I do so I shall follow your lead.
>
> I discovered that there is some guidance in the python documentation regarding uninstalling...and it agrees with Williams advice so I will do it.
>

> On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 6:25 PM, John C. Tull <john.tull-***@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> William knows much more about all of this than I do. With that said, I am a significant portion of the testing on OS X, and I have never used python.org. I would say dump it if you don't explicitly need it. Also, work out getting a build system for qgis that works, then start to tinker if you have to do so.
>
> Cheers,
> John
>
> On Sep 17, 2010, at 4:16 PM, William Kyngesburye wrote:
>
> > There are 2 camps on this: system and python.org, though I don't want to start a debate about that here ;) Both are valid, though I prefer the system version, and it's also the one most tested with Qgis as far as I know.
> >
> > If you want to uninstall python.org, deleting /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework is a start. It probably also has added something to your PATH in your ~/.bash_profile. And there also may be symlinks and scripts in /usr/local/bin, and maybe some headers or symlinks in /usr/local/include.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"The beast is actively interested only in now, and, as it is always now and always shall be, there is an eternity of time for the accomplishment of objects."

- the wisdom of Tarzan
Matthew Denno
2010-09-22 00:54:58 UTC
Just a follow up. After applying the patch and upgrading to PyQt trunk I
was able to get QGIS installed from source. And I learned some things along
the way :)

William and John: Thanks again for all your help.

On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 11:19 AM, William Kyngesburye <woklist-***@public.gmane.org

John C. Tull
2010-09-22 02:14:24 UTC
I'm glad to hear you had success. I played catchup today with a bunch of stuff and ran into the same build problem you had reported. Thanks for your good research on the patch as that saved me some grief. I still managed to have a corrupt cache database and some other issues that made the upgrades slow me down quite a bit.

Good luck with you qgis work,
John